Cloth Making For Beginners 10 Week Course
Time & Location
About the Event
You will learn the Introduction to using the sewing machine:
How to use the sewing machine;
Learn to set up and thread a sewing machine;
Learn different parts of sewing machine;
learn through demonstration, discussions, practices ,one to one instruction and guidance to achieve different types of stitching techniques
Using tools and equipment in sewing.
Learn how to sew practical and decorative stitches and knowledge of sewing allowance!
Know how much seam allowance to live when joining garments.
Demonstration on basic properties of fabric, including:
Fabric width, length & selvedge, grain line
How to lay a pattern on fabric according to pattern instruction
Practical exercise: cutting out a pattern on paper, then onto fabric
Seams: seam Allowance & seam neatening, using overlocking machine, zigzag etc.
- Plain seam with 1cm, 1.5cm. 2cm seam allowance- why, where, how and when to use seam allowance.
- Plain seam with zig zag neating on raw edge
- French seam: this is a 2 in 1 seam & seam neatening
Binding seam: how to cut bias binding from fabric and bind a raw seam
Binding edge: using ready made binding
Construct sample for curved seams, corner seams
- Round neckline Square neckline
- Stay stitch, e.g. around neckline
- Top stitch e.g. around a square patch pocket
Top stitch - Making different type of Pockets: Techniques to follow step by step:
- Top stitch around a square pocket
- Top stitch a hem
Construct sample of Zips - Different type of zips - to a dress, trouser, skirts.
- Lapped method
- Edge to edge method
- Invisible/concealed zip
Making a semi –tailored pencil skirt/or dress from standard size block of your size:
- Laying out block or pattern on fabric, adding seams allowances appropriately
- Cutting out
- Making up skirt/dress method of assembly - step by steps guidance by qualified tutor.
Week 8 to Week 9:
Making up skirt /dress cont./ pressing techniques
Week 10:Techniques of Final Finishing Techniques and pressing techniques.
Final Finish of skirt or Dress Certificates awarded to students
Students encouraged to join the intermediate classes.
- Clothmaking Beginners Course£102.56£102.560£0